- 1recipe Classic White Cake
- Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple paste food colorings
- 1/2recipe Creamy White Frosting or one 16-ounce can vanilla frosting
- Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple jimmies
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. A 9-inch springform pan that has a removable bottom or two 8×1 1/2-inch round cake pans. Prepare batter for Classic White Cake as directed, except divide batter among six bowls. Tint each bowl of batter a different color using food colorings.
- For springform pan, spoon red batter into center of pan. Spoon orange batter into center of red batter, allowing red batter to spread out. Spoon yellow batter over orange batter and so on with the green, blue, and purple batters. Gently shake pan back and forth until batters are evenly spread in pan. Bake about 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove sides of pan; invert cake onto another wire rack, remove bottom of pan, and cool cake completely. (For 8-inch round cake pans, add red, orange, and yellow batters to one pan and add green, blue, and purple batters to second pan as directed above. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.)
- Frost the top and sides of springform cake with Creamy White Frosting (if using cake layers, spread frosting between layers before frosting top and sides of cake).
- Sprinkle wedge-shape sections on top and sides of cake with different colors of jimmies, pressing them onto the sides with a spoon.**
From the Test Kitchen
If you make two 8-inch cake layers, you’ll need more than 1/2 recipe of frosting.
Working with one wedge-shape section at a time, gently place strips of waxed paper on both sides of wedge. Fill section with jimmies. Move the paper strips when you’re ready to add another section of jimmies.
Nutrition Facts (Pinwheel Rainbow Cake)
- Per serving:
- 583 kcal cal.,
- 24 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 26 mg chol.,
- 356 mg sodium,
- 90 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 67 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet